What Causes Discolored Teeth and How to Overcome from Stained Teeth to Whiter Teeth?
The oral hygiene and healthy food habits you cultivate will eliminate the stains and protect your teeth from being discolored. The gleaming smile will be yours if you maintain proper oral hygiene and regular dental visits.
Top Reasons Your Pearly Whites are Stained:
- Poor Oral Hygiene:Yes, proper oral hygiene includes brushing twice a day with a fluoridated toothpaste and flossing once in a day. Tooth brushing techniques are there to remove plaque on teeth. If you don't brush correctly, then tartar will form and lead to masking undesirable discolored teeth. Finally, a cavity will appear.
- Food habits: Colored candies, beverages such as coffee, red wine, soda, dark juices like grape juice could be affecting the color of your teeth. Colored liquids soak into the pores of the teeth into the enamel and over time these teeth may look yellowish. Most sodas and energy drinks are acidic which erode the enamel of the tooth then slowly dentin starts to appear, later you may suffer from teeth sensitivity.
- Tobacco: Some people are addicted to tobacco products and smoke. Smoking tobacco products will promote teeth yellowing.
- Aging: As you age many changes happen throughout your body and your mouth too. The outermost layer of the tooth i.e. enamel gets worn away, reveals the yellow color of the dentin naturally.
- Certain Medications: Some prescribed medicines such as antibiotics will harm your teeth color. You can mitigate this effect by rinsing your mouth with water.
How Can We Prevent Discolored Teeth?
- Proper Dental Hygiene: Regular tooth brushing, flossing and visits to our dental professional, Dr. Gonzalez for oral checkups, these will help you less likely to have dental problems. Develop good oral habits early and keep your good oral health for a lifetime.
- Watch the food you eat: Avoid such foods which stain your teeth and sticks to your teeth. Try to consume the acidic and colored beverages through a straw so that it eludes the contact of teeth with acidic drinks. Rinse your mouth with water after eating foods. It's good practice!
- Drink plenty of water: Drinking water right after breakfast, will help remove any harsh residuals left on the teeth and will help keep the mouth clean. Chewing sugarless gums can also help to keep stain free teeth.
Teeth Whitening Treatments:
There are numerous treatment options that can be performed to give whiter and brighter smile. Professional dental cleaning and bleaching will help get rid of discolored teeth. Any questions about teeth whitening and other oral problems kindly speak to our Cosmetic and General Dentist Dr. Iven Gonzalez. Visit our Sun City Dental office in El Paso Texas. We are catering Dental services to the community of El Paso and Fort Bliss locations. Call us to schedule an appointment: 915-201-2539